The Knights of Columbus, Council 14690, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church, Leon Springs, Texas, are really doing good works in the community in support of growth, prosperity and improved relations in a very diverse community. The tenets of the Knights of Columbus existence are charity, unity and fraternity. We are 148 men of faith and action. We are a fraternal benefit family that is true to our founding principles of charity, unity and fraternity. Aid and assistance are offered to sick, disabled and needy members and their families and others as needed. We promote social and intellectual fellowship through educational, charitable, religious, social welfare, war relief and public relief works. We have helped families and communities obtain economic security and stability through our acquisition of life insurance, annuities and long term care programs and have contributed countless hours of community service.
The Knights of Columbus Council 14690 have truly performed good works. Examples of these good works are:
- Leon Springs Night yearly gala-provides treats to community members and others like fried Oreo cookies and drinks.
- Tootsie Roll Drive-collection of donations, in exchange for tootsie rolls, where 100% of the donations are used to assist the State of Texas Knights of Columbus (KofC) in support of its efforts to support community and other KofC Chapters as well as national charities like the Christian Refugee fund, disaster victims, etc.
- Scholarships-provides two scholarships per year to high performing high school seniors in the amounts of $1500 and $750 to support their achievement and defray costs of college tuition.
- Catholic Seminarian Stipend-provide stipends for support to two Catholic candidates for the priesthood who are attending San Antonio’s Assumption Seminary.
- St. Mary Magdalen Catholic School Donation-provided $500 to support school operations for Catholic elementary students’ education. The only Catholic school with an accredited school dual language program in a predominantly low-income area.
- Purchase and donation of a golf Cart to St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (SEAS) Catholic Church to be used by church leadership to assist in overseeing church operations and church campus property.
- St. Vincent De Paul-assist St. Vincent De Paul with pickup and distribution of food to the poor and others that are in need.
- Construction and donation of monies for the construction of a Catholic Church and support for immigrants from India.
- Assistance to and prayers for the sick and their families in their homes, hospitals and other venues.
- Support to Adoration Community Theology Service (ACTS)-support to adults and teens that desire to follow in the footsteps of God with leadership and participation in ACTS; also, distribution of Bibles and Rosaries.
- Casa De Padres-assistance to Casa De Padres and its priests providing furniture movement, purchase and donation of new bed mattresses, dinners and luncheons.
- Leadership Conferences and training-attendance at KofC State conferences and participation with KofC webinar training activities.
- Partnering with the Catholic Daughters of America (CDA)-partner with the CDA on dinners, dances, garage sales, Casa De Padres dinners other occasions.
- Catholic Seminary Donation-Donation of monies for Assumption Catholic Seminary renovation activities.
- Charitable service-home restoration, renovations, cleanup of SEAS Catholic Church grounds.
- Provide funding to assist KofC Global Wheelchair and Coats for Kids Missions.
- Back-to-School BBQs-conduct BBQs to collect monies for distribution and performance of activities and KofC family and community picnics.
- Contributions for Appeals-provide donations for annual San Antonio Archdiocese appeals.
The Knights of Columbus also are successful and continually strives to solicit community local businesses to support KofC efforts to serve and improve community relations. There are yet many other activities and acts of good work performed by KofC Council 14690. For its good works Council 14690 has been awarded the Star Award and Lone Star Award for exemplary service.