The following list of 6 items is a checklist of actions the Worthy Grand Knight and Worthy Financial Secretary should ensure they have completed and then give copies to the District Deputy.
- REPORTS – OBTAIN (Practical TIP – Email BOTH WGK AND WFS)
- 365Provides Supreme names of GK, Directors: Program, Family, and Community so they may be scheduled for Safe Environment training.
- Semi-Annual Audit report Required for bond of FS, GK, and Treasurer
- 990enables you to keep 501(c)(8) status
- Insurance proof for council (All Diocese require, Supreme Requires)
- REPORTS – WHY
- Let’s you know council’s health and where you can assist
- Set timeline to obtain reports
- MONEY – WHERE PROBLEMS LIVE – Review Officer Desk Reference found under Officer online
- $500 Rule
- TWO (2) Signatures
- Change / Update signature
- Knights of Columbus Charitable Fund (KCCF) –
- ALLOWS council to give tax deductible receipt
- Insurance – required (See Lockton Insurance contact below)
- WITHOUT INSURANCE - - YOU MAY BE SUED PERSONALLY
- Home Associations
- 501(c)(2) – money back to council
- 501(c)(7) – fraternal Lodge – HA existence derives from Supreme
- APPLY FOR SALES TAX AND PROPERTY TAX exemption with Texas (see application procedure this Knightline)
- SAFE ENVIRONMENT – REQUIRED FOR 4 OFFICERS TO HOLD THE POSITIONS.
- Home Associations
- Councils have fiduciary duty and control
- Remember you do not have to take SE training, but you ALSO ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HOLD GK or the 3 Directors office without the SE training
- Officer Online allows you to check SE compliance
- Will receive e-mail from Praesidiuminc or Supreme with logon and password plus link to your training modules
- MAKE SURE YOU GET A Congratulations Page and check your modules with that days date - - then you know you have passed the training;
- Complete all modules, all have quizes
- Reports – Look under Officer Online and under Report tab, check Safe Environment Report, DD or GK can confirm GK & Directors are compliant
- Pax Bonum – scam, sex offender, removed priest is mailing GKs
- IRS agreement requires HA to send any money above operating expenses to council for council’s charity distribution
- Insurance – MUST HAVE OR YOU ARE SELF INSURING
- Apply for Sales tax and property tax exemption under Fraternal Organizations with the State of Texas.
30 days to comply
OFFICER DESK REFERENCE – Officer Online - - USE IT, READ IT
Diocese REQUIRE if on parish or DIOCESE property.
SUPREME - Each council is responsible for securing and paying for appropriate insurance coverage and to maintain records of the same.
Lockton Affinity at 1-800-496-0288. You may also contact them by email at CouncilInsurance@locktonaffinity.com or visit them online at http://councilinsuranceprogram.com/
If you do not have insurance for your council or hall you are self insuring (YOU MAY BE SUED AND HELD LIABLE).
Texas State Council Legal Affairs Committee:
Bob Goss – State Advocate
Mikell West – LA Committeeman